Newaygo Police JOB OPENING
Sworn licensed Police Officer opening:
Newaygo Police Department ~ Full and Part-Time Police Officer
Opening Date: 09/20/2022
Closing Date: until filled
CONTACT PERSON: Chief Andres
TELEPHONE: 231-652-1657 extension 215
The City of Newaygo Police Department is seeking qualified candidates for the position of Full and Part-time Police Officer.
Duties include patrolling city streets, parks, commercial and residential areas. Preserve the peace and enforce the law, control vehicular traffic, prevent or detect and investigate misconduct involving misdemeanors, felonies and other law violations, obtaining evidences and compile information regarding crimes, prepare cases for filing of charges, testifying in court, and related activities, carry out duties in conformance with Federal, State, city ordinances, departmental policies and procedures and other related activities.
• Associates degree in law enforcement, criminal justice or a related field required
• Must be licensed, licensable as a police officer by MCOLES.
• Must be a U.S. citizen and be 21 years or older at the time of employment.
• Must possess, or be able to obtain by time of hire, a valid driver's license.
• No felony convictions and/or disqualifying criminal histories.
• Must be able to read and write the English language;
• Must be of good moral character.
• Ability to successfully complete all phases of the selection process.
• Pass extensive personal and professional background check
• Pass medical, psychological and drug testing.
Essential job functions:
• Patrol in a vehicle
• Respond to calls for service
• Make arrests
• Prepare narrative crime reports and non-criminal reports, criminal investigations and follow-up traffic crash investigations
• Participate in training sessions
• Participate in community oriented events
• Display a positive and professional attitude and demeanor.
• Detain search and question suspects as appropriate.
TO APPLY, SUBMIT COVER LETTER, RESUME AND COMPLETED EMPLOYMENT APPLICATION
Georgia Andres, Chief of Police
City of Newaygo Police Department
Newaygo, MI 49337
Applications Accepted Until positions are filled
Application may be obtained at Newaygo City Hall or by emailing / requesting an employment application at email@example.com
City of Newaygo Leaf & Brush Pick-up Dates & Information
Bulk Leaf Pick up – October 21st – November 4th
- Rake leaves to edge of road in a long windrow. If you have a curb put leaves in the gutter pan.
- Piles should be located just on the road edge, no more than one foot into the road
- Piles should not be within four feet of mailbox, street signs, or poles
- Piles should only include leaves. No Brush! Leaves will not be picked up if other items are mixed in with leaves.
- Leaves must be placed along edge of road no later than November 4th at noon or the leaves will not be picked up and you will have to bag leaves
Bag Leaf Pick up - Anytime
- Composting bags are available at City Hall at no charge
- Bags must contain only leaves or grass clippings. No Brush!
- If bags contain grass clippings please fill bags only half way
- Set bags by edge of road and the DPW will pick them up
- The City will not pick up bags that are not composting bags
Brush Pick up – October 14th – October 21st
- Brush must be piled neatly, with butt ends facing the road
- Brush only. No leaves or grass!
- Brush must not exceed 6” in diameter and 4 feet in length
- Brush must be placed out no later than October 21st at noon or brush will not be picked up. After this date you can arrange to take your brush to the DPW by calling 652-7984.
Public Notice-Public Hearing
The Newaygo City Planning Commission, in accordance with the Newaygo City Zoning Ordinance and statutes of the State of Michigan, will hold a public hearing on Thursday, October 6, 2022 at 6:30 PM in the Newaygo City Council Chambers at 28 N. State Rd, Newaygo, Michigan, 49337 to take comments on the following:
- A request by Michigan Agricultural Commodities (MAC) to install a grain silo approximately 110’ tall at a reduced setback of approximately 50’. MAC is located at 103 W. Water St. on parcel number: 62-18-24-240-021.
A copy of the Newaygo City Zoning Ordinance, including the Zoning Map is available for review and/or purchase at the Newaygo City Office, 28 N State Rd, Newaygo, MI, 49337 (231-652-1657). You may also obtain or view all Newaygo City Zoning Ordinances by visiting our website at www.newaygocity.org.
Any party member may appear in person or by attorney at any hearing. It is respectfully requested that public comments and/or items to be a matter of record be submitted to the City in writing at the address above by 3:00 pm on the date of the hearing.
Newaygo City Clerk
The City of Newaygo does not discriminate on the basis of disability in admission to, access to, or operations of its programs, services and activities. The City of Newaygo does not discriminate on the basis of disability in its hiring or employment practices.
This notice is provided as required by Title II of the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) of 1990
Questions, concerns, complaints or requests for additional information regarding the ADA may be forwarded to the City of Newaygo's designated ADA Coordinator:
28 State Road
Monday-Friday 7:30 am- 4:00 pm
Individuals who need auxiliary aids for effective communication in programs and services of the City of Newaygo are invited to make their needs and preferences known to the ADA Coordinator.
Newaygo City Manager
Water Main Flushing:
The City of Newaygo will be flushing water mains from 7:00 am-3:00 pm Monday thru Friday beginning October 3, 2022 and continuing through October 14, 2022. Customers should be aware that there may be some discoloration in their water supply and the washing of clothes is not recommended during this time.
Public Notice-TIFA Informational Meeting
The City of Newaygo Tax Increment Finance Authority (TIFA) and Local Development Finance Authority (LDFA) will hold an informational meeting regarding these Authorities on October 21, 2022 at 7:00am. The meeting will be held in the Newaygo City Council Chambers at 28 N. State Rd, Newaygo, Michigan, 49337.
The purpose of the meeting is to inform the public on the role of TIFA & LDFA and their activities. The goals and direction of each Authority will be explained, including projects to be undertaken in the coming year.
According to Michigan Public Act 57 of 2018, Authorities (i.e. TIFA, LDFA, DDA, etc.) that capture tax increment revenues must hold two informational meetings each year. The City of Newaygo has two of these types of Authorities (TIFA and LDFA) as mentioned above.
More information regarding these districts can be found on the City’s website at https://newaygocity.org/tif-districts.php.
If you have questions regarding the meeting or about the Authorities, please contact City Manager Jon Schneider at 231-652-1657 x211.
The City of Newaygo will provide necessary reasonable auxiliary aids and services to individuals with disabilities at the hearing upon five days advanced notice to the City Clerk at the address above or by phone at 231-652-1657 x213.
General Election November 8, 2022
The State General Election will be held on Tuesday, November 8, 2022. On this ballot, the City of Newaygo will have the following positions available for City Council: Mayor, whose new term will end 12/31/2024, and three (3) Council Member positions, whose new terms will end on 12/31/2026. If you wish to run for one of the positions listed you must:
- Be a resident of the City for one year before the election date (11/8/22)
- Be a registered voter on the last day of filing for the nominating petitions (07/26/22)
- Not be in default of any outstanding City bills or taxes
Nominating Petitions and Affidavit of Identity forms can be picked up at City Hall. These forms must be filled out and returned no later than 4:00 pm on July 26, 2022 if you wish to be placed on the November General Election ballot.
Should you have any questions please feel free to contact the Newaygo City Clerk at firstname.lastname@example.org or 231-652-1657 Ext. *213#.
Substitute School Crossing Guards
The City of Newaygo will be taking applications for Substitute School Crossing Guards. Applications and Resumes will be received until the positions are filled.
Please submit Applications/Resumes to:
Newaygo Police, 28 State Road, P.O. Box 308, Newaygo, MI 49337.
For additional information, please call (231) 652-1655.
City of Newaygo
28 State Road
Newaygo, Michigan 49337
Phone (231) 652-1657
Monday through Friday, 7:30a-4:00p
Emergency: Phone 911